Kathwood Baptist Church has always been a progressive presence in Baptist life in the Columbia area, and a leader in the formation of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of South Carolina. Going in a new direction towards inclusive, open-minded faith, Kathwood aligned herself with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship in the organization’s infancy.
Below are core values and strategic priorities from the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.
These also help define Kathwood Baptist Church’s identity.
- Soul Freedom – We believe in the priesthood of all believers. We affirm the freedom and responsibility of every person to relate directly to God without the imposition of creed or the control of clergy or government.
- Bible Freedom – We believe in the authority of Scripture. We believe the Bible, under the Lordship of Christ, is central to the life of the individual and the church. We affirm the freedom and right of every Christian to interpret and apply scripture under the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
- Church Freedom – We believe in the autonomy of every local church. We believe Baptist churches are free, under the Lordship of Christ, to determine their membership and leadership, to order their worship and work, to ordain whomever they perceive as gifted for ministry, and to participate as they deem appropriate in the larger Body of Christ.
- Religious Freedom – We believe in freedom of religion, freedom for religion, and freedom from religion. We support the separation of church and state.
Interacting with the world community
- Support and promote the Millennium Development Goals
- Expand advocacy efforts for human rights, religious liberty and social justice
- Develop a national framework to address poverty in the United States
Honoring race, gender, and generations
- Model racial, gender and generational inclusion in hiring and leadership
- Heighten understanding of women in leadership
- Invest in young Baptists
- Provide training for indigenous church leaders and pastors
- Facilitate short term mission engagement opportunities for churches and individuals
- Facilitate long term relationships among churches, individuals, and field personnel ministries